Saturday, December 8, 2007

Dead Guy Quote (2)

"We were wrought up with ideas inexpressible and vaporous, but to be fought for. We lived many lives in those whirling campaigns, never sparing ourselves any good or evil; yet when we achieved and the new world dawned, the old men came out again and took from us our victory, and remade it in the likeness of the former world they knew. Youth could win, but had not learned to keep, and was pitiably weak against age. We stammered that we had worked for a new heaven and a new earth, and they thanked us kindly and made their peace. When we are their age no doubt we shall serve our children so."
– T.E. Lawrence, “Seven Pillars of Wisdom”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog very much too. Thank you. It reminds me of my favorite parts of an old song, a hymn, really:

America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!

...

O beautiful for patriot dream
...
And crown thy good with brotherhood

God bless you and your 'band of brothers.'

Anonymous said...

LT G,
I have read your journal thus far and I had a sudden wave of pride wash over me. I am meeting a person for the second time. I know this man as a once known "Homecoming Ninja" I palled around with back home. A skinny loud dirty irishman always helping others get into trouble. Now I read about an older skinny loud dirty irishman always helping others get into trouble. The difference, you are a Soldier now and have my upmost respect. I look forward to reading your Journal. Keep your head down, lead your troops well, and let me welcome you home with a pint, Brother.